Sms location sent and Received by SMS

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
Speedy501

Sms location sent and Received by SMS

Post by Speedy501 »

but link shows last mobildata connection om map, not the cordinates in the received sms.

Bug?
Speedy
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sms location sent and Received by SMS

Post by admin »

Hi,
I could not reproduce this problem. There should be a red balloon on the map. Can you please try again?
Speedy501

Post by Speedy501 »

Hi admin

I tried several times... This is what I do:

I have 2 accounts 1 portable mobile phone which is my personal phone.

1 mobile phone to track my location on my car.
Car tracker has everything except GPS turned off .

I then send a remote SMS from my personal mobile phone to càr tracker to send me car position in an text message.

It looks like SMS received from car tracker send correct position, but when I click link..it is not last position received in SMS, but last position mobile dataconnection was on from that car tracker phone.

Hopefully this makes the challenge more clear.
Since car tracker has not updated greenalp.com with posision, greenalp com does not accept the SMS link as a new posision from car tracker mobile...and show last known position car tracker registered it"s position with greenalp.com

Goodnight
Speedy out
tiguan

Post by tiguan »

Maybe I misunderstand. But do you want the "car-phone" to send its GPS-position to your personal-phone, without internet-connection to the greenalp.com server? I strongly believe this cannot work, because the SMS you receive originates from the greenalp.com server and not from your "car-phone". And the server can only send, what was received.
Just to test, what position your "car-phone" believes to have, when you request the SMS: open the car-phone account in greenalp.com's website and check, if this is the position you expect to receive.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I strongly believe this cannot work, because the SMS you receive originates from the greenalp.com server and not from your "car-phone". And the server can only send, what was received.
Usually it works exactly as you have assumed. But the SMS "send location to me via SMS" remote command is very special and indeed works without the server. One device sends the command via SMS directly to the other device. And the other device sends location back to first device, again directly via SMS.

@Speedy: Have you checked the timestamp of the received position. You can see it if you click the balloon icon in the map. Is the timestamp correct or is it an old position?
Speedy501

Post by Speedy501 »

Hi

Since I check this from my car driving...the location in SMS from car is almost identical to my personal mobile location. So the problem is the app do not care about the posisjon in the link from car SMS. Instead it shows last known posisjon from greenalp server when car tracker had data connection turned on.

Speedy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tested it with my phone and it works as expected. If you click the link the map shows the coordinates contained in the SMS. Maybe the tracked phone doesn't send the correct coordinates. What about the displayed timestamps?

Can you please copy the link from the SMS and open it in the web browser. Is the displayed location different there?
Speedy501

Post by Speedy501 »

Hi
Yeah....when copy link and open in web browser it looks ok .
When I click the link from SMS it opens my app and posisjon is wrong?
How can I change so link from greenalp.com always opens in web browser and not in app??

Speedy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can reset this the app details sections of your Android settings. Open "App Info" and "Open by default". But I can assure that it works with the app too. I guess you see two icons on the map. One is your last recorded location from the tracker, and one is generated when you click the link. Maybe you look at the wrong icon.