RTT2 Issue - tracking turns off by itself

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
wb5dx

RTT2 Issue - tracking turns off by itself

Post by wb5dx »

We have RTT2 installed on all 3 family phones. We prefer to leave RTT2 running when the phones are awake, so everyone can see or find everyone. But, too frequently, RTT2 shuts off or stops updating all by itself (the user is not pressing "stop"). It will remain dormant for hours or sometimes days. We don't want to have to call or text the other to have them re-activate the program (in class, meetings or in car and not wanting to fiddle with the phone). And, it seems to not update when we really need it.

We have Samsungs Note 2 (rooted w/4.1), S3 (not rooted w/4.4) and an S4 (not rooted w/4.2). What other info might you need?
admin
Site Admin

Re: RTT2 Issue - tracking turns off by itself

Post by admin »

Hi,
seems, you have two problems:
1.) Tracking service shuts down sometimes.
2.) Tracking service runs but does not update.

Ad 1.) Does this mean the whole app is killed? Maybe the problem is that Android starts killing apps when there is not enough free memory available anymore. Once I observed on my phone that the service was closed because I started firefox and loaded a quite big web site.

Ad 2.) There exist a few scenarios when the tracker cannot update the location. For example GPS problem, data connection problem, or some phones enter very deep sleep modes and freeze the apps more or less until there is some user activity. To solve this issue for your specific case I need more details. Does the tracker indicate any problem? Maybe red icon, or notification at the top of the map screen? Have you checked the timestamp (synchronization time, network send time, gps send time)?

How long can you run the tracker before the problems start? Currently I run a test. Started about 24 hours ago. So far no update problem.
wb5dx

Post by wb5dx »

admin wrote:Hi,
seems, you have two problems:
1.) Tracking service shuts down sometimes.
2.) Tracking service runs but does not update.

Ad 1.) Does this mean the whole app is killed? Maybe the problem is that Android starts killing apps when there is not enough free memory available anymore. Once I observed on my phone that the service was closed because I started firefox and loaded a quite big web site.

Ad 2.) There exist a few scenarios when the tracker cannot update the location. For example GPS problem, data connection problem, or some phones enter very deep sleep modes and freeze the apps more or less until there is some user activity. To solve this issue for your specific case I need more details. Does the tracker indicate any problem? Maybe red icon, or notification at the top of the map screen? Have you checked the timestamp (synchronization time, network send time, gps send time)?

How long can you run the tracker before the problems start? Currently I run a test. Started about 24 hours ago. So far no update problem.
I will start with my wife's phone. Hers is the Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4). Yesterday, she was going on a short overnight trip. We wanted to watch her progress up the highway. The tracking lasted about 20 minutes, then stopped. It then started up again, on its own, after she arrived at her destination. It subsequently stopped and has not updated since about 24 hours ago (she has since returned).

My son's phone is a Note 2 (rooted to work on AT&T with Android 4.1). His tracker also just shuts off. Sometimes it will restart (tracking) and sometimes is stays dormant for days.

My phone, an S4 running 4.2, seems to track just fine. It does occasionally get the "red" icon when inside. But, it restores itself and continues.

How would I determine if the app is shutting down (and not coming back on) or if it simply not updating. I suspect the app is shutting down. The phones get used periodically throughout the day (going into sleep mode and then waking upon usage). All other functions seem to be working. There are no App Killers installed. If the Tracker loses GPS signal (such as in a building) and then the person goes outside (restoring GPS), shouldn't the app start tracking again?

Thanks for working with us!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the service runs it always shows an icon in the status bar. So you can easily check whether the service is running or not by checking the icon.

If the tracking suddenly continues without user interaction it means the app did not shutdown before, because if it was shutdown it could not start automatically anymore (except you have confiured "autostart" and you have rebooted the phone).

I'm running a test which started 2 days ago and there is no problem so far. On you wife's phone is there only the trail stopping or if the location itself also not updating? Click the icon and check "send time". Is it only a few minutes ago or a long time ago? Check also the battery send time.

Are you absolutely sure that your wife has not stopped the tracker and that the phone permanently has working data connection?
wb5dx

Post by wb5dx »

Well ... for the last two days, the tracking has worked just fine. It is similar to a car problem that disappears as soon as I take it to the mechanic!

What I am doing is watching my phone and observing the period that the other two phones are updating throughout the day. Previously, one or both of the others would cease to update (the top line of the popup box that indicates time from the last update). I dont' believe either of the users are shutting off the program. So, the app is doing by itself (just not now!).

In the mean time, is there a setting I need to check to insure that the app is set to stay running unless manually turned off? I may be missing something. :D

Thank you for your patience.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, so if the "Send time" in the orange box does not update I guess either the data connection temporarily does not work or the phone is in a very deep sleep mode (to save energy). Have to tried to send a remote command just to test, if communication between tracked phone and server works? You could first send a "Get network location". If no response you could try "start service".
wb5dx

Post by wb5dx »

admin wrote:OK, so if the "Send time" in the orange box does not update I guess either the data connection temporarily does not work or the phone is in a very deep sleep mode (to save energy). Have to tried to send a remote command just to test, if communication between tracked phone and server works? You could first send a "Get network location". If no response you could try "start service".
I will have to try the remote command. I am not sure how that works,but I assume instruction is available on the app or online. My son's phone did cease to update today for about 8 hours. It ceased to update for hours until my son manually brought up the app and it restarted. He did not manually turn it off.

I will look into the remote command. In the meantime, is there an individual setting or group of settings that should be set to help the situation? Also, will the remote command set off the phone's text message notification (sound). There are occasions the phone must maintain silence.

Thanks again for your patience.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, there is no special setting. I think your settings are correct. The remote command will be silent. Please note that I don't mean sending SMS as remote command. Instead use the remote command section in the web portal. First you should send a "get network location". If this does not work maybe the service is stopped. In that case try "Start service".
wb5dx

Post by wb5dx »

admin wrote:No, there is no special setting. I think your settings are correct. The remote command will be silent. Please note that I don't mean sending SMS as remote command. Instead use the remote command section in the web portal. First you should send a "get network location". If this does not work maybe the service is stopped. In that case try "Start service".
OK ... The phone was tracking or updating just fine for several hours and stopped. I went to the web portal and brought up his account. I then sent a "force start service" command yet the status continually says "waiting". I tried this on several occasions and with differing commands and all waited.

Any suggestions?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you send "start service" to phone and the tracker still does not start up this most likely means the phone has no working data connection and cannot receive the start-command. Maybe next time you can ask the owner of the phone for a confirmation about the data connection if the start service command does not work.